Dear Maju:Daniel's Dream


       "Either you repeat SS1 as a science student or you change your department in your present class, that's all we can offer to you". I felt frustrated, this can't be happening. It's all my fault, if only I had not followed the crowd, if only I had been myself but what will the my friends think about me?.
      My name is Daniel and this is my story. I am the only son of my parents and luckily for me I have always been an A straight student. Right from primary school, I secretly nurses the idea of being a lawyer but my mother has the fear that lawyers get killed easily. In Junior School I decided to stand for myself and go to Art class but that determination was cut short on the first day of resumption when all my intelligent friends decided to pursue science related dreams. I couldn't stand been the odd one or being called a dullard since there was this belief that only dull students go to Arts class.
    I changed my plans and decided to pursue a piloting career, my parents were happy that I was in science department but I had a problem, I was never interested in anything science. Later in my second year, I switched schools and the principal gave me an option to either go back to year one as a science student or continue year two as a non science student since my performance in science was mediocre. I couldn't bear going back to study something I was not interested in, my parents got angry but I felt it was time for me to stand for myself. I couldn't let anyone determine my future. I studied hard since I was on trial, in my first stay at the new school, I became the best Art student and it continued till I graduated.
   In my final year at secondary school, I decided to pick the UTME form, I filled law as my course of choice, passed the cut off but was denied admission due to my age. I felt frustrated and became suicidal. I wrote six more UTME but was denied admission to the University. I decided to give up law, my parents kept complaining about how lucrative the science related courses were, if only I had listened to them, how will the society view me. I kept seeing posts of my juniors gaining admission and even one I tutored then graduated from Law school and I was still struggling to gain admission to study my dream course. Due to the pressure, I decided to give up on life and just end the shame I was living with. Something kept pulling me back from taking that action and that was my dream. I decided to write another UTME and I got admitted to study law at the best university in the country. Last two years, I graduated as the best student from law school and am presently doing my master's program by scholarship.

It doesn't matter how long, what matters is how passionate you are about achieving your dreams.
Daniel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Lagos Life

THE CYCLE OF DEMOCRACY

The Exploitation