EDUCATION: A joke in reality.

        In primary school, I was taught there are two types of education; The formal and the informal. I had always wished I could be educated without the four walls of a school but I was told if I needed a certification , I would have to get a formal education. This is where we got it wrong. I once read a poem titled The Schoolboy and all I can see, is myself in this boy.
         The irony of education is it has decayed a lot of lessons when it is supposed to fix ignorance. Many schools ranging from preschool, basic, high till higher institutions are nothing more than a pit dug for failure.
             I know of two private schools in Lagos,Nigeria which lacks basic amenities needed in a school with the lowest level of indiscipline and are known to be a place where parties are been thrown without second thoughts. How can a school lack a library(even if the books are outdated ),Sick Bay or nothing next to a Sick Bay (Save we call a room with a mat and no first aid box, a Sick Bay) and no laboratories for science practicals. How do we expect the best from such children? .
             One of the issues in the decay of grassroot educational system is the disrespect of teaching staff by the school council / head. These persons are paid little money and her expected to provide the best and qualitative education.. that's a very funny joke.
         If the foundation is this bad, how can they come in the university where frustration is been taught. I felt the University would be a continuation of my smooth high school life until I met with a different game from what I am used to playing. Students are been left on their own to find their way through the dark world of school. Lecturers hardly come to class and those who come deliver half baked lectures they find themselves, hard to understand. The only thing which constantly comes to class is "materials".
        Everyone wants the best but they get less than they bargained for. If these kinds of students are being birthed into the society, what do we think they will contribute?. The ones who try to stand out are shut up in different ways and the defiant ones are turned against.
        I had this conversation with a friend recently over the just recently concluded strike action held by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in Nigeria. Having been home since October which coupled with the end of session break, we joked about how everything we have managed to learn has disappeared from our memory. It might be a joke but it's true. Imagine forgetting most things learnt in  school and resuming into a furstratingly chaotic system with a need to understand an un-understandable lesson. This is the life of an average student... Then we blame the student for failure?.
    There is a deep need to rehabilitate students not to see education for its certification but for its lessons. I hope we get the message... This is continually the cycle in the educational system, a whole new foundation for corruption.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Lagos Life

THE CYCLE OF DEMOCRACY

The Exploitation